Midtown Crossing in Omaha has it all! Located South of Dodge and 33rd, Midtown Crossing is a favorite entertainment district in the heart of Omaha, featuring Turner Park, Midtown Crossing Apartments, and Dewey Park. This dog-friendly neighborhood has some of the best dining, shopping, and entertainment in the city–hosting free community events all throughout the summer!
Turner Park has been a staple of Omaha since Charles Turner donated the land to the city in 1900, but this area has seen lots of development in recent years. Since 2013, the Pavilion at Turner Park has been the focal point of this beautiful, 7-acre green space, and the restaurants, bars, and shops surrounding it create a fun community with something for everyone. Read below for some of the summer events you won’t want to miss!
Photo Credit Zach Bailey
In Midtown Crossing, you can find:
- 297 Condominiums and 196 Apartment Units
- Omaha’s favorite board game cafe, Spielbound
- Bocce Ball Leagues and outdoor ping-pong tables
- Crescent Moon Bar which hosts Beer Corner USA’s Annual Oktoberfest
- The 6th tallest building in Omaha, the Mutual of Omaha offices
- A vegan restaurant, Modern Love
- Wednesday night workout series with Genesis Health Clubs
- Night Markets on the last Friday of every month
- And more!
Midtown Crossing is part of Omaha’s vision to revitalize some of the previously underutilized sections of the city. In 2007, it was a 15-acre barren tract of parking lots and old apartment buildings, but now, with the help of Mutual of Omaha, they have achieved their goal of “attracting new residents, invigorating community pride, and generating measurable economic momentum through the vibrant blend of restaurants, retail, and free community events where Omahans can connect.” The greenspace created here is now a bustling business hub, central to the community of the entire city.
Photo Credit Jadee Marquez Photography
If you're eager to hit the hottest summer events in Omaha, Midtown Crossing has it all!
Summer 2023 Events
- Join Omaha foodies for the Street Food Tour on Saturday, June 24th from 11 am-3 pm. This event highlights some of the best restaurants in Omaha, so be sure to come hungry! Participating Midtown Crossing establishments will have sampler stations set up for you to try everything from sweets to delicious drinks. Live music and chalk art are also sure to be a hit, but don’t forget to bring a nonperishable food item donation for Food Bank of the Heartland.
- Jazz on the Green is always an Omaha favorite, and it is back this year, every Thursday night from July 6th through August 10th. Presented by Omaha Performing Arts, the 2023 lineup includes Larry McCray, Xperience, Ron Artis II, Bobby Watson, Chad Stoner Band, and Ana Popovic. Grab your pup, blankets, chairs, and sunscreen to enjoy these free concerts, and pop by a local restaurant for dinner beforehand.
- Turner Park’s free concerts aren’t exclusive to jazz, so stop by for this year’s Playing with Fire on July 14th & 15th and August 11th & 12th. These award-winning blues artists like Sugaray Rayford and Joanne Shaw Taylor are sure to draw a crowd, so be sure to arrive early to get a good seat.
- Omaha’s local artists will be featured on September 9th & 10th for the 5th Annual Chalk Art Festival. This family-friendly event will cover the streets and sidewalks of Midtown Crossing with beautiful art, and local vendors will also be serving great food!
- Keep yourself healthy by attending Wednesday Night Workouts at 6 pm throughout the summer which feature workouts like Mixxed Fit, Zumba, and Pound, or try Yoga in the Park on Sundays at 4 pm. Both are sure to be a great way to get in shape and have fun.
- Check out the summer food and drink specials at local restaurants:
- Proof Whiskey Bar: Sunday and Monday all-day happy hour (25% off everything except retail bottles)
- Pa Mas Taqueria & Grill: Called the best Cuban sandwich in town, try the Pa Más Cubano this summer. They are also featuring a delicious Pork Chili Rice Bowl with salsa rojo and fresh, homemade margaritas–never from a mix. To celebrate Margarita Season, they are also open later throughout the summer!
A Unique and Historical Omaha Neighborhood
Living in or around Midtown Crossing is a great option, with the median home values sitting around $240,000. There are plenty of historic homes in this neighborhood, and you can find beautiful properties for list prices comparably less than Greater Omaha–around $320,000. This neighborhood is great for families and young professionals, as there is so much to do just a short walk from home. Jackson and Liberty Elementary Schools are nearby as well as Central High School and Creighton University, offering great educational opportunities to local residents.
Image Credit: 316 Strategy Group
Midtown Crossing is a great entertainment district in the heart of Omaha. Its inviting greenspace and free, community events draw people from all over the city, and summer is the best time of year for fun in this neighborhood! Whether you’re looking for good food, free live music, art, or local culture, Midtown Crossing will have what you need. Bring your dog to Dewey Park and enjoy a bubble tea from Thirst Tea Cafe or take your kids for ice cream at the local Cold Stone Creamery. This beautiful, newly redeveloped community brings life and energy to this great city, and I hope you can visit for some of the best, free events of the summer!
If you’re interested in more information about Midtown Crossing or would like to move to the area, contact a Nebraska Realty agent to get started.
Article by Lauren Gonzalez